Prof. Dr. Himdad Abdulqahhar MuhammadICET Editor
Salahaddin University / Kurdistan Teachers' Union
A Short Bio / زانیاری کەسیی / سيرة ذاتية قصيرة :
Prof. Dr. Himdad A. Muhammad
(Specialized expert in English language and linguistics)
at Salahaddin University-Erbil/Iraq
• PhD, MA in English Language & Linguistics from Salahaddin Universty-Erbil/Iraq.
• Has worked as university instructor since 1998 and taught undergraduate and post-graduate students in Salahaddin, Koya and Soran universities.
• Supervised and participated in the discussion of over 90 Master thesis and PhD dissertations and viva committees.
• Has participated and presented in various international and national conferences, workshops and training courses.
• Has 10 published books, including an English learning series and an electronic dictionary (ZAR dictionary)
• Has 41 published academic papers
• Has translated tens of articles for international and local newspapers and magazines and TVs.
• Currently, Staff member in English department, College of Basic Education, Salahaddin university-Erbil.
• President of Kurdistan English Language Teachers’ Professional Network (KELPTN).
• Founder and CEO of MegaMind Plus Academy for Education, Training and Consultancy.
Category / پۆلێن / الفئة :
Digital Literacy & Technology Education / خوێندەواری دیجیتاڵی و پەروەردەی تەکنەلۆژیی / محو الأمِّيَّة الرَّقميَّة والتَّعليم التَّكنولوجي
Seminar Title / ناونیشانی بابەت / عنوان الندوة :
Teaching in the 21st Century: Preparation for teaching techzines
Abstract / پوختە / الملخص :
For an effective teaching in the 21st century, teachers need to be cognizant of education, learners and market needs of the century. A 21st century education is focused on providing students the skills they require to succeed in this new world, and helping them grow the confidence to practice those skills in their daily lives. 21st century skills focus more on making sense of that information, sharing and using it in meaningful ways.
The four C’s of 21st century include creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration. These are four themes that are not to be understood as modules, but as themes that should be integrated across all curriculum mapping and strategic planning. They must become part of every module similar literacy and numeracy.
Creativity means thinking through information in new and creative ways, establishing new connections and coming up with innovative and creative solutions to the challenges and problems encountered. Critical thinking, on the other hand, refers to analysing information and critiquing claims put forward. Moreover, communication is understanding things well enough to share them clearly with other people. Finally, collaboration is related teamwork and the collective intelligence of a group that is more than the sum of its parts.
Within these four areas, there are other skills that are important as well, for instance ‘Entrepreneurship’ can be considered a skill of its own. Inquiry and problem solving are crucial.
To sum up, education needs to be all about empowering students with transferable skills that will hold up to a rapidly changing world, not prescribed content that has been chosen for its past relevance. Teachers in the 21st century must know who are they dealing with, what are the characteristics of ‘techzines’ so that we find a common ground for learning to be meaningful.
Keywords / وشە سەرەکیەکان / الكلمات المفتاحية :
21st century education, teaching techzines, four Cs