British Consul General
British Consulate-General Erbil *
James Thornton is the British Consul General in Erbil. Mr Thornton joined the then FCO in 1989 and has since had a broad range of jobs, in London and overseas.
He was British High Commissioner in Lusaka until August 2015 and British Ambassador to Bolivia from 2016 to 2019.
He has thirty years of experience as a diplomat, dealing with a broad range of issues (including multilateral work) and a variety of geographical areas.
His aim is effectively to represent the British Government and to further its objectives, and promote UK business and economic prosperity. For this He
– build broad networks of the most senior people
– influence behind the scenes and through my high media profile
– make policy recommendations based on an in-depth understanding of the countries and issues with which I deal
– lead and empower my teams
– balance the needs of different sets of stakeholders, while keeping my own objectives to the fore
– carry out a corporate change to ensure my teams are most effectively structured
– contribute to the broader corporate thinking of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
He has a track record of achievement and can operate in a variety of different cultures.
He has excellent French and Spanish (C2 passes in both).